Unit I: Introduction of advanced materials and its manufacturing processes for engineering applications.
Piezoelectric materials (PZT)- Piezoelectric effect, Di-electric hysterisis, piezoelectric constants, piezoelectric charge constants, dynamic behaviour of PZT transducers, piezoelectric materials and manufacturing techniques (stability, poling anddepolarisation).
Unit II: Shape memory alloys (SMA)-Shape memory effect and the metallurgical phenomenon of SMA, Temperature assisted shape memory effect, Visco-elastic behaviour, magnetic shape memory effect. Various shape memory alloys. Manufacturing technology of SMAs.
Unit III: Electro rheological (ER) and magneto-rheological (MR) materials-
Characteristics of ER and EM fluids. ER and EM materials.
Unit IV: Composite materials- Design and manufacturing of polymer matrix, metal matrix and ceramic matrix composites. Various forms and type of reinforcements, fillers and additives.Design of composites for structural, wear resistance and high temperature applications.
Unit V: Micro-electro-mechanical (MEMS) systems- Introduction, characteristics of silicon wafers and other materials for MEMS applications. Various manufacturing techniques of MEMS components Materials for high temperature applications – Ni-Cr alloys, ODS materials, Ni base and Co based super alloys, carbon-carbon composites.
Unit VI: Powder metallurgy- Introduction and feature of powder metallurgy processes. Advanced solidification techniques: directional solidification, single crystal growth and levitation melting.
Unit VII: Advanced Material processing techniques- Thermal spraying, Ion beam machining, Laser and Electron beam processing, Friction Stir Welding, Special alloys machining, Superplastic forming, Flow forming, Explosive forming, Thin films and their deposition, Diamond coating techniques-tribological applications, Diffusion bond coating of high temperature materials.
- Gandhi, M.V. and Thompson, B.S., Smart materials & Structures, Chapman & Hall,1992.
- Otsuka, K. and Wayman, C. M., Shape memory materials, C.U.P,1998
- Taylor, W., Pizoelectricity, George Gorden and Breach Sc. Pub.,1985
- Mallick, P.K., Fiber Reinforced Composites Materials, Manufacturing and Design Marcel Dekker Inc, New York,1993.
- William D Callister: Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction, 6th Edition, WileyPublication.
- Kalpakjianand S.Schmid: Manufacturing Engineeringand Technology, 4thEdition, Pearson Education.
- P. Grover: Fundamentals of Modern Manufacturing: Materials, Processes & Systems, PrenticeHall.