Unit I: Basic of Computational Fluid Dynamics. Governing Equations of fluid mechanics and heat transfer, physical boundary conditions, basic aspects of Discretization.
Unit II: Finite Difference and Finite Volume formulation of steady/transient one-dimensional conduction equation., Finite Volume formulation of steady one-dimensional convection and diffusion problems,
Unit III: Solution algorithms for pressure-velocity coupling in steady and unsteady flows. discretization equations for two dimensional convection and diffusion.
Unit IV: Numerical methods for the Navier-Stokes equation. Turbulence models: mixing length model, Two equation (k-epsilon) models – Grid generation. Practicals on CFD software(FLUENT).
- Turbulent Flow in a 2D elbow. (usewater)
- Laminar Flow in a 2D Pipe. (usewater)
- Flow over an Airfoil. (useair)
- Laminar flow over a flatplate.
- An introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics, 2nd edition, 2007, HK Versteeg & W Malalasekera, PearsonEducation.
- Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics, 2005, Anil W Date, Cambridge University Press, NY,USA.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics & Heat Transfer, 1984, Anderson, Dale A, John C Tanehill and Richard H Pletcher, McGrawHill.
- Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, 1980, Patankar SV, Hemisphere, New York.