Unit I: Manufacturing Considerations in Design- Design for manufacture, Tolerencing and tolerance analysis. Processing techniques and limitations for metals, polymers and ceramics. Influence of materials in processing and tooling on the design of components. Finishing, surface coatings and surface modifications of materials.
Unit II: Engineering Design- Design of cast, forged, sheet metal parts and welded constructions. Design for assembly and dismantling, modular constructions. Erection, operation, inspection and maintenance considerations, Costing and Ergonomics.
Unit III: Machining considerations- Design for accuracy, locating pins and registers, machining in assembly, adjustment. Backlash and clearance adjustment.Examples illustrating the various principles.Available design variants for some of the common basic functional requirements.
- Ashby, M. F. “Materials Selection in Mechanical Design”, Pergaman Press,1992.
- Bralla J., “Handbook of Product Design for Manufacture”, McGraw Hill,1988.
- Levy S., and Dubois, L. H, “Plastics Production Design Engineering Handbook, Methuen Inc.,1985.
- Dieter G E, Engineering Desing, McGraw-Hill,1991.
- Yotaro Hatamura, The Practice of Machine Design, Claredon Press Oxfor,1999.
- Ertas Atilia and Jones J C, The Engineering Design Process, John Wiley & Sons,1996.
- Waldron B M and Kenneth J W, Mechanical Design: Theory and Methodology, Spriinger, 1996.