Unit I: Hydraulic System & Components-Sources of Hydraulic Power: Pumping theory – Pump classification – Gear pump, Vane Pump, piston pump, construction and working of pumps – pump performance – Variable displacement pumps. Fluid Power Actuators: Linear hydraulic actuators – Types of hydraulic cylinders – Single acting, Double acting special cylinders like tanden, Rodless, Telescopic, Cushioning mechanism, Construction of double acting cylinder, Rotary actuators – Fluid motors, Gear, Vane and Piston motors
Unit II: Design of Hydraulic Circuits-Construction of Control Components : Director control valve – 3/2 way valve – 4/2 way valve – Shuttle valve – check valve – pressure control valve – pressure reducing valve, sequence valve, Flow control valve – Fixed and adjustable, electrical control solenoid valves, Relays, ladder diagram. Accumulators and Intensifiers: Types of accumulators – Accumulators circuits, sizing of accumulators, intensifier – Applications of Intensifier – Intensifiercircuit.
Unit III: Pneumatic Systems and Components-Pneumatic Components: Properties of air – Compressors – Filter, Regulator, and Lubricator Unit – Air control valves, Quick exhaust valves, and pneumatic actuators. Fluid Power Circuit Design, Speed control circuits, synchronizing circuit, Penumo hydraulic circuit, Sequential circuit design for simple applications using cascade method.
Unit IV: Design of Pneumatic Circuits-Servo systems – Hydro Mechanical servo systems, Electro hydraulic servo systems and proportional valves. Fluidics – Introduction to fluidic devices, simple circuits, Introduction to Electro Hydraulic Pneumatic logic circuits, ladder diagrams, PLC applications in fluid power control. Fluid power circuits; failure and troubleshooting.
- Anthony Esposito, Fluid Power with Applications, Pearson Education2000.
- Majumdar S.R., Oil Hydraulics, Tata McGraw-Hill,2000.
- Johnson, James L., Introduction to Fluid Power, Delmar Publishers,2003
- Majumdar S.R., Pneumatic systems – Principles and maintenance, TataMcGraw Hill,1995
- Harry L. Stevart D.B, Practical guide to fluid power, Taraoeala Ltd. Broadey,1976.
- Michael J, Prinches and Ashby J. G, Power Hydraulics, Prentice Hall,1989.
- Dudelyt, A. Pease and John T. Pippenger, Basic Fluid Power, Prentice Hall, 1987.