Unit I: Introduction- Classification of mechanisms – Basic kinematic concepts and definitions – Degree of freedom, Mobility – Kutzbach criterion, Grueblers criterion – Grashofs Law – Kinematic inversions of four-bar chain and slider crank chains – Limit positions – Mechanical advantage – Transmission Angle – Description of some common mechanisms – Quick return mechanisms, Straight line generators, Universal Joint – rocker mechanisms.
Unit II: Kinematics of mechanisms/machineries- Displacement, velocity and acceleration analysis of simple mechanisms – Graphical method– Velocity and acceleration polygons – Velocity analysis using instantaneous centres – kinematic analysis of simple mechanisms – Coincident points – Coriolis component of Acceleration – Introduction to linkage synthesis problem.
Unit III: Dynamics of mechanisms/machineries-Dynamics Fundamentals, Dynamic Force Analysis, Balancing, Engine Dynamics, Multi cylinder Engines.
Unit IV: Kinematic and dynamic analysis of machine components- Classification of cams and followers – Terminology and definitions – Displacement diagrams –Uniform velocity, parabolic, simple harmonic and cycloidal motions – Derivatives of follower motions – Layout of plate cam profiles – Specified contour cams – Circular arc and tangent cams – Pressure angle and undercutting – sizing ofcams.
Law of toothed gearing – Involutes and cycloidal tooth profiles –Spur Gear terminology and definitions –Gear tooth action – contact ratio – Interference and undercutting. Helical, Bevel, Worm, Rack and Pinion gears [Basics only]. Gear trains – Speed ratio, train value – Parallel axis gear trains – Epicyclic GearTrains.
Upon completion of this course, the students can able to apply fundamentals of mechanism/machines for the design of new mechanisms/machines and analyse them for optimum design.
- R L Norton, Design of Machineries, 5th Edition, McGraw HillPublishers.
- Uicker, J.J., Pennock G.R and Shigley, J.E., Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, 3rd Edition, Oxford University Press,2009.
- Rattan, S.S, Theory of Machines, 3rd Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill,2009.
- Thomas Bevan, Theory of Machines, 3rd Edition, CBS Publishers and Distributors,2005.
- W. L, Mechanisms of Machines, Oxford University Press,2005.
- Allen S. Hall Jr., Kinematics and Linkage Design, Prentice Hall,1961.
- A and Mallick, A.K., Theory of Mechanisms and Machines, Affiliated East West Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi,1988.
- J.S. and Dukkipati.R.V. Mechanisms and Machine Theory, Wiley-Eastern Ltd., New Delhi,1992.