Unit I: Introduction-Design Characteristics of Mechanical Elements – Adequate and Optimum design – Principles of optimization – Conventional Vs Optimal design process – Design variables – Formulation of objective function – Design constraints – Variable bounds – Classification of Engineering optimization problem.
Unit II: Single Variable Optimization Techniques-Optimality Criteria – Bracketing Methods – Exhaustive search method – Bounding phase method – Region Elimination Methods – Interval halving method – Fibonacci search method – Golden section searchmethod
– Gradient based Methods – Newton – Raphson method – Bisection method – Secant method – Cubic search method.
Unit III: Multi Variable and Constrained Optimization Techniques-Optimality criteria – Direct search Method – Simplex search methods – Hooke-Jeeve’s pattern search method – Powell’s conjugate direction method – Gradient based method – Cauchy’s method – Newton’s method – Conjugate gradient method. Kuhn – Tucker conditions – Penalty Function – Concept of Lagrangian multiplier – Complex search method – Random search method
Unit IV: Intelligent Optimization Techniques-Introduction to Intelligent Optimization – Soft Computing – Working principles of Genetic Algorithm Types of reproduction operators, crossover & mutation, – Simulated Annealing Algorithm – Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) – Graph Grammer Approach – ExampleProblems
Unit V: Engineering Applications-Structural applications – Design of simple truss members. Design applications – Optimum design of simple axial, transverse loaded members – Optimum design of shafts – Optimum design of springs. Dynamic applications – Optimum design of single, two degree of freedom systems and gear vibration absorbers. Mechanisms applications
– Optimum design of simple linkage mechanisms
- Jasbir S Arora, Introduction to Optimum design, Mechrawhill International, 2011.
- S.Rao, Engineering Optimisation: Theory and Practice, Wiley- Interscience,2008.
- Deb, Optimization for Engineering design algorithms and Examples, Prentice Hall of India Pvt.2005.
- J. Ray, Optimum Design of Mechanical Elements, Wiley, John & Sons,2007.
- Saravanan, Manufacturing optimization through intelligent techniques, Taylor & Francis Publications.