Various beneficiary applications can be developed based on the proposed model. Some of the benefits of IOT and cloud computing applications in agriculture are as mentioned below:
- Improvement in the efficient usage of inputs like soil, water, fertilizers, pesticides,etc.
- Indoor farming –greenhouses
- Storage monitoring – water tanks, fueltanks
- Disease and pest monitoring
IOT and cloud computing is a technology which tends to connect various objects in the world to the Internet. Internet of Things (IOT) gives a new dimension in the area of smart farming and agriculture domain. With the use of fog computing and WiFi-based long distance network in IOT, it is possible to connect the agriculture and farming bases situated in rural areas efficiently. To focus on the specific requirements, we propose scalable network architecture for monitoring and controlling agriculture and farms in rural areas. Compared to the existing IOT-based agriculture and farming solutions, the proposed solution reduces network latency up to a certain extent. In this, a cross-layer-based channel access and routing solution for sensing and actuating is proposed. It involves the use of RFID, wireless and other sensors with Internet stack inbuilt into thedevice.
The proposed syllabus is as follows:
Part 1: Introduction to IOT, Sensing, Actuation, Basics of Networking, Communication protocols, Sensor networks, Machine-to-machine communication
Part 2: Interoperability in IOT, Introduction to Arduino programming
Integration of Sensor and Actuators with Arduino, Introduction to Python programming
Part 3: Introduction to Raspberry Pi, Implementation of IOT with Raspberry, Data handling and Analytics, Cloud Computing, Smart Home/ Green House/ Farm.
By the end of the course students / participants will acquire the knowledge of;
- After six month training programme the student should perform, operate and identifies different IOT enabled system/application in agricultural fieldsuchas Precision Farming, Livestock Monitoring, and Agricultural Drones etc. for farmers to maximize yields using minimal resources such as water, fertilizer and seeds.
- Selects various types of sensors as per requirement. Positions appropriate sensors and collects necessary data like various types of soil properties including compaction, structure, pH and nutrient levels etc.
- Soil moisture, temperature at various depths, rainfall etc. at predeterminedintervals.
- Identifies and selects different wireless communication modules and topology such as ZigBee, Bluetooth, GSM module, Wi-Fi,Ethernet,
- Identifies and install the appropriate devices such as Location Sensors, GPS & GPS integrated circuits, Wearable sensors to cattle for livestock monitoring by collecting data regarding the location, wellbeing and health ofcattle.
- Installs the devices used in green house such as Carbon dioxide, Oxygen, Air temperature sensors etc.