A mechatronics engineer unites the principles of mechanics, electronics, and computing to generate a simpler, more economical and reliable system. The term “mechatronics” was coined by Tetsuro Mori, the senior engineer of the Japanese company Yaskawa in 1969. Electromechanical systems have been used in agriculture for decades. As technology advances, these devices are increasingly shifted toward mechatronics, since the electromechanical equipment slowly became more and more intelligent”. The basic of today’s modern agriculture is the precision agriculture(PA).
Unit I: Mechatronics: Introduction, Systems, Measurement Systems, Control Systems, Microprocessor – based controllers, Response of systems. The Mechatronics Approach – Pneumatic and hydraulic actuation system: Actuation systems, Pneumatic and hydraulic systems, Directional control valves, Pressure control valves, Cylinders, Process control valves, rotaryactuators.
Unit II: Mechanical Actuation Systems: Mechanical Systems, Types of Motions, Kinematic chains, Cams, Gear Trains, Ratchet and pawl, belt and chain drives, Bearings, Mechanical aspects of motor selection.
Unit III: Electric Motors: Introduction, Types, DC electric motor, AC electric motor, and stepper motors, half step mode operation, micro step mode. Types of stepper motors, direct drive actuator – Electric Drives: Thyrister Control of Motors: – Introduction, Uncontrolled rectifiers, controlled rectifies, thyrister choppers, inverters, Cyclo-converters, SCR controlled AC motors, Electrical Systems, Mechanical switches, Solid state switches, Solenoids.
Unit IV: Introduction to Robot Control: Introduction: Open loop and Closed loop systems, feedback and feed forward Control systems, Mathematical modelling of control systems: Mechanical Electrical Hydraulic, Pneumatic system. Transfer functions; Block diagrams, signal flow graphs – Components of the Robotic Control systems: Potentiometers, Synchros, Controllers, DC and AC servo motors, Tachogenerators, gear -train, Gyroscope.
- Mechatronics- W Bolton, PearsonEducation.
- Mechatronics Principles and Applications- G.C.Onwubolu, Elsevier Butterworth- Heinemann.
- Mechatronics Source Book- Newton C Braga, Thomson Publications.
- Introduction to Mechatronics and Measurement Systems- D.G.Alciatore andM.B.Histand, McGraw Hill.
- The purpose of study to develop a electromechanical devices in agriculture for custom services of advanced technologies that used digital system to formulate and develop a competitive solutions.
- The course introduces a interdisciplinary mechanical, electronic and computing basics required for studies of Agricultural Robots, Drones and AGVs like smart devices. This course is beneficial for preparing a fundamental knowledge to learner to work in sensors adapted devices in agriculturalfield.