- To learn the fundamentals of visionsystems
- To understand the image recognition and retrievalalgorithms
- To learn the concepts of object recognition and applications of visionsystems.
Course Outcomes (Cos)
- Able to know the basics concepts of visionsystems.
- To apply the vision concept of designingrobots.
- To use the algorithms to imageprocessing
Unit I: Vision System
Basic Components – Elements of visual perception, Lenses: Pinhole cameras, Gaussian Optics Cameras Camera-Computeinterfaces
Unit II: VisionAlgorithms
Fundamental Data Structures: Images, Regions, Sub-pixel Precise Contours – Image Enhancement :Gray value transformations, image smoothing, Fourier Transform – Geometric Transformation -Image segmentation – Segmentation of contours, lines, circles and ellipses – Camera calibration –Stereo Reconstruction.
Unit III: Object Recognition
Object recognition, Approaches to Object Recognition, Recognition by combination of views Objects with sharp edges, using two views only, using a single view, use of dept values.
Unit IV: Applications transforming sensor reading, Mapping Sonar Data, Aligning laser scan measurements – Vision and Tracking: Following the road, Iconic image processing, Multiscale image processing, Video Tracking.
Unit V: Robot Vision
Basic introduction to Robotic operating System (ROS) – Real and Simulated Robots – Introduction to Open CV, Open NI and PCL, installing and testing ROS camera Drivers, ROS to Open CV – The CV bridge Package.
Unit VI: Application
Perceiving 3D from 2D Images, 3D Sensing and Object Pose Computation and Integration of a Machine Vision System
- Carsten Steger, Markus Ulrich, Christian Wiedemann, “Machine Vision Algorithms and Applications”, WILEY-VCH, Weinheim,2008.
- Damian M Lyons, “Cluster Computing for Robotics and Computer Vision”, World Scientific, Singapore, 2011.
- Rafael C. Gonzalez and Richard E. Woods, “Digital Image Processing”, Addition – Wesley Publishing Company, New Delhi,2007.
- Shimon Ullman, “High-Level Vision: Object recognition and Visual Cognition”, A Bradford Book, USA,2000.
- Patrick Goebel, “ROS by Example: A Do-It-Yourself Guide to Robot Operating System – Volume I”, A Pi Robot Production,2012.