- To upgrade the quality of foodproducts.
- To process the food material into value added food products intheasceptic and hygienic condition.
- To assess the qualitative and quantitative bioactive, nutritional and functional components in the foodproducts.
The course will help in fast, reliable and effective identification and understanding of sophisticated instruments and process control devices for food processing and value addition. Secondly, students will get hands on training on equipment handling and demonstration for estimation of nutrional component and processing profile of different food products.
Instrument terminology and performance system accuracy, flow sheet symbols, instrument evaluation, electrical, mechanical, magnetic and optical transducers for measurement of process variables like temperature, pressure, flow, level, consistency and humidity, indicating and recording devices: direct acting and servo operated systems, digital indicators, strip and circular chart recorders, electronic data loggers, principles of automatic process control.
Process characteristics, controller characteristics, closed loop system, pneumatic and electric controllers, final controlling elements, control valves, valve sizing, electronic actuators, motor drives and controls, introduction to programmable logic controllers (PLC): internal structure, inter facing with sensors and actuators, binary logic diagrams and ladder diagrams, choosing a PLC system.
Applications of MS Excel to solve the problems of food technology: Statistical quality control, Sensory evaluation of food, and Chemical kinetics in food processing; Use of word processing software for creating reports and presentation; Familiarization with the application of computer in food industries -Milk plant, Bakery Units, Fruit & Vegetable processing Unit; Familiarization with software related to food industry; Ergonomics application in the same; Visit to Industry and case study problems oncomputer.
By the end of the course students / participants will acquire the knowledge of;
- Introduce the role of computerization in food processing, particularly for communication, process and quality optimization, automation, simulation, designing andmanufacture
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the scientific foundationsofthe disciplines in engineering and the natural sciences that constitute the field of foodtechnology
- Demonstrate an ability to analyze both complete systems and the constituent parts of the industrial manufacture of foodproducts
- Demonstrate an insight into how different sub-systems co-operate with eachother
- Demonstrate an insight into current research and development in the field
- Demonstrate enterprising skills
- Compete in the global food industry scenario